Like all other machinery, garage doors will inevitably wear out over time, and will likely eventually break. Since garage door maintenance is much less expensive than a garage door repair or replacement, you’re better off inspecting it and maintaining it on a periodic basis—or having a garage door maintenance company do it for you.
When Should I Schedule Garage Door Maintenance?
If you lift up your garage door and let it drop, the door should rise smoothly and come to rest about three or feet above the ground. If you struggle to lift it, or if it drops all the way to the ground, that’s a sign that it’s in need of maintenance or repair, and you should schedule your service immediately. If it seems to be working well, we generally recommend scheduling maintenance twice a year—once in the spring after the winter weather, and once in the fall after the summer heat.
Garage Door Maintenance Checklist
Below is a basic, non-professional garage door maintenance checklist that can be performed by a layperson.
- Lubricate all parts – Rollers, hinges, tracks and pulleys—with WD-40.
- Wipe everything clean, and put some 3-in-1 oil on the parts as well.
- Inspect for rust, and remove it with steel wool. Most quality garage doors are treated to prevent rust, but it’s still wise to check.
- Lubricate the garage door opener chain (or drive screw, depending on what model you are using) to keep everything moving smoothly.
- Check the weather stripping and replace any worn or missing material.
- Examine your torsion springs to see if they look worn or damaged. If they seem to be in need of repair, call a garage door maintenance company for a repair. We do not recommend doing this yourself, as it can be dangerous.
- Check that the door is properly balanced, slides down smoothly and easily, and reverses when the garage door opener senses an object in its path.
Need Garage Door Maintenance in Raleigh, Cary, or Apex?
All American Overhead Garage Door is proud to service Raleigh and its surrounding areas. If you are in need of garage door maintenance, repair, or replacement, be sure to reach out and schedule an appointment with us today.